Magic Eight Ball of Genealogy: Ancestry's We're Related App





So, Ancestry has had it's "We're Related" app out for some time, and while it is as reliable as a Magic Eight Ball, sometimes it manages odd outcomes that Ancestry should have thought out better.

Ancestry should resolve the issues of what happens when:

1) They use a chart where people who were born over 150 years ago showing up as alive.  This means that the person shows up as "Private".
2) They should also not be taking information from "Private Trees" because, all things being equal, everyone in that private tree shows up as "private" on the app.
3) They really ought to give you a floor to establish what is the oldest date that you would accept a match from.  For example, omit matches on people born before 1500.
AND
4) Stop telling me that losers like Rob Ford are 10th cousins.  Seriously, I wouldn't claim that crack smoking walking heart attack as a relative if her were my father.  I'm not even Canadian!

But this recent match, it really was a cluster match.

Case in point:

The other day I received a missive that I was related to Isadora Duncan, legendary dancer and poster girl for the Society For the Prevention of Decapitation by Scarf in Open Automobiles, or SFPDSOA as it is known by its supporters.  (Look at all the good work SFPDSOA has done.  When was the last time that really long scarfs were in?  Touring cars?  Not since 1940.  See what I mean?)

I mean, I LOVED the fact that Isadora and I could be related.  She would be third behind cousin Joan Crawford and cousin Duchess of Windsor  - Bessie Wallis Warfield Simpson, or "THAT woman," to my mother -  but well ahead of cousins Emily Post and Neil Patrick Harris.   All of these are confirmed as correct.  I know better than to trust an app that promises at most to be a parlor game, and at the very least a way to bore those around you with "Look who I am 13th cousins with!"

I would have liked to have welcome Isadora into the family, but there was an issue.

Imagine my befuddlement when the app provided me with this:


I mean, really?  What is this?


Seriously?

Now, Isadora Duncan was born in 1877ish - or 140ish years ago.  Her death was 90 years ago.  So how could this have all become so "Private"?  Moreover, it could be, most likely is, made up.   So the point of it is...???

To me, this is the kind of error that they should have caught.   As I said, I called them to let them know and they must have had a bad outbreak of ennui in customer service because "Dylan" didn't seem to think it was a problem.

"It's more of an entertainment app than a quotable source."

"But," said Dylan, "You could do the research yourself."

I could.  I could also jab a knife into an electrical socket.  Doesn't mean that I will.  And frankly, Isadora Duncan simply isn't important enough to prove.  I have my lines to trace, Dylan.

Like I said when they rolled it out - it's like a Magic 8 Ball.  And this match reads "Outcome Hazy" or "Ask Later"

What's next, Ancestry's Ouija Board Game?


Comments

  1. This made me chuckle! It seems as reliable as one of the thousands of trees on Ancestry that have no sources. Thanks for the laugh!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Time, neglect, etc. take a toll on Likens Cemetery

Find A Grave has a difficult birthing process and I point some fingers

Ancestry and it's new "Genetic Communities" feature